Production of recombinant proteins routinely encounters problems, including formation of inclusion bodies, incorrect protein conformation, toxicity to the host cell, and low protein yield. These issues are most often addressed by using an alternative host or genetically fusing the protein of interest (POI) to a carrier protein (fusion tag). Attachment of the C-terminus of SUMO (Small Ubiquitin Like Modifier) to the N-terminus of a protein of interest can dramatically improve protein solubility, achieve native protein folding, and increase total yield by improving expression and decreasing degradation. LifeSensors has pioneered SUMO fusion technology, which increases the quantity and quality of numerous recombinant proteins in both prokaryotic and eukaryotic expression hosts.
Our SUMO-tag expression systems maximize the yield of soluble, functional proteins in E. coli and eukaryotic cells. SUMO functions as both a chaperonin and initiator of protein folding, improving the solubility and yield of your POI. LifeSensors proprietary engineered SUMO Proteases remove the SUMO tags, releasing your protein with the desired or native N-terminal amino acid.
Advantages of Choosing LifeSensors for Your Protein Expression Requirements
- Dramatically enhances protein expression while maintaining protein function
- Engineered SUMO proteases will result in intact native n-terminus
- SUMOPro technology ideal for enhanced expression, increased solubility and native folding in E. coli
- SUMOPro3 designed with human SUMO tag for mammalian expression suitable for proteins that require post translational modifications
- SUMOstar technology for use in eukaryotic hosts – designed to resist endogenous proteases